Teachers and administrators of Jesode-Hatora—Beth Jacob Antwerp, late 1930s. In 1936, a boys’ school named Jesode-Hatorah in Antwerp that had existed since the 1880s opened a Bais Yaakov girls’ school on the same campus. Towards the end of the 1930s many German Jews fled to Belgium. Their children were taken care of in the Jesode Hatora, which housed a total of 936 students. In May 1940 many refugees left for the United States, the United Kingdom or France, as a result of which the school closed its doors for several weeks. Shortly afterwards, classes resumed with about 500 students.